Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Haiti Once More

I've been reading some of my old blog posts from years ago, trying to remind myself what it means to blog.  I haven't written anything is such a long time that I'm a little concerned about my ability to do so.  However, at the request of various individuals and consistent prodding from my husband, I'm setting up this little window to my world so that, if you wish, you can follow along as we embark on one adventure after another.

Yesterday I arrived in Haiti.  For those of you who know me well, you know that I've been wishing and longing for this day for a very long time.  It's been 3 years since my last visit and driving through the crowded, dusty streets of Port Au Prince yesterday I was reminded of how much I had forgotten!  At the airport they loaded us up in large buses to transport us to immigration.  The claiming of the luggage was the usual scramble and chaos.  I did feel a little braver this time than all the times before and was able to quite effectively ward off the overwhelming attempts made to 'assist' me with my luggage.  I may not speak creole well but I'm pretty sure that my pronunciation of "NO, thank you" and "I Don't Need" was accurate enough.

The city seems more crowded and noisy.  The vehicles are driven like weapons and even though my own life feels relatively safe, the lives of the pedestrians weaving in and out of swerving tap taps flash before me.  There are tent cities that weren't there 3 years ago and I don't remember ever before seeing an 18 wheeler cruising through the PAP streets.  Uh huh, now there are not only large swaying buses but also semis barreling along at rather rapid rates of speed.

The drive way to the orphanage has been slightly altered but the house looks the same on the outside.  Things seem quieter for some reason.  Perhaps it's simply that there are 20+ children now instead of 40+.  That's about half the noise, half the sticky hands and half the wailing.  There were 6 other volunteers here when I arrived; 3 of them departed this morning, so I now have a little plywood, tin roofed room to myself.

Many things have not changed.  The bugs are still very much alive.  Thank God for mosquito nets and pretty consistent electricity to run the fan.  Oh, and earplugs.  

I'm grateful to be back in Haiti.  God is so good.

1 comment: